Sunday 19 February 2017

Meet the participants of the #LlandeiloBookFair / #LlandeiloLitFest : Thorne Moore

Book Fair Interview with Thorne Moore, who you can meet at the Llandeilo Book Fair on Sunday, April 30th.

Thorne will also be part of a panel discussion on 

Saturday April 29th at 12 noon at the Angel Inn
Eventbrite - Panel discussion with local crime fiction writers Sally Spedding, Thorne Moore and Cheryl Rees-Price  £5,90 Welsh Thrillers with Thorne Moore, Sally Spedding and Cheryl Rees-Price
Welcome Thorne. Please tell us about the books you’ll be bringing to the Book Fair.
 A Time For Silence, Motherlove, The Unravelling and Moments of Consequence.

Which genres do they belong to? 
Moments of Consequence is a collection of short stories, some of them with a supernatural twist. The others are all psychological crime mysteries – domestic noir.

What are the characters and plots like?
The books mostly concentrate on women characters and their complicated relationships. The plots are usually centred on a need to get to the bottom of some hidden truth. There is also often a time shift element, since I am fascinated by the  long-term consequences of events.

Tell us about your newest book.
Moments of Consequence is a mixture of comedies, tragedies and histories, although the precise boundaries of the three isn’t quite clear. It also contains three stories that are linked to my three novels, by focussing on minor characters, who might barely get a mention in the books, but who are significant to the novels’ protagonists.

Which of your books are you’re most proud of, and why? 
I think The Unravelling, because its arrival was such a miracle. I was on the point of writing it for about thirty years, but kept stopping at chapter three. Then, suddenly, I had to do it. I took a run at it, and it all fell into place. But ‘favourite book’ is a bit like ‘favourite child.’ Impossible, really, to choose.

What is the best thing that has been said about your books?
That they leave people thinking.

Why did you decide to come to the Llandeilo Book Fair?
I came to the book fair, last year, and enjoyed it hugely. It’s great to have a chance to meet readers face to face.

Do you have a special connection to Wales?
I live in Wales (Pembrokeshire), some of my books are set her, my mother is Welsh and I spent many holidays visiting relatives here. I went to university here (Aberystwyth). I started learning Welsh while I still lived in Luton (lots of Welsh in Luton). So quite a bit. But I have never been to Patagonia.

What is your personal background?
I grew up in Luton, where I worked for a while as a library assistant, but I moved to Pembrokeshire in 1983, to run a restaurant. I’ve made miniature furniture for a living for over 30 years. I have a law degree, but have resolutely resisted the urge to become a lawyer and make lots of money.

Who are your favourite authors?
Jane Austen, John le Carré, Kate Atkinson, Ursula le Guin

Please share your social media links and buy links to your books.

Amazon author page http://amzn.to/1Ruu9m1

No comments:

Post a Comment