Wednesday 29 March 2017

Meet the participants of the Llandeilo Book Fair: Colin R. Parsons


Today I have another regular participant, and a very popular at that: Colin R. Parsons. Welcome back to the blog and the book fair. Please tell us about the books you’ll be bringing to the Book Fair.

Wizards’ Kingdom trilogy: The Curious World series : Crank Tech One series : House of Darke : D.I.S.C. Direct Interface Shadow Control

Which genres do they belong to?

Wizards’ Kingdom is mythical fantasy
The Curious World is about a parallel universe.
Crank Tech One is science fiction
House of Darke is a sci-fi/steam-punk concoction.
D.I.S.C. is sci-fi and about bullying and how things change when a disk with strange powers is discovered.

What are the characters and plots like?

Each character has to be magnetic, if you don’t empathise or relate somehow, well that won’t make for a good adventure. The plots to my books are always fast-paced, and filled with thrilling adventures with a twist.

Tell us about your newest book. 

D.I.S.C. launched in mid-February of 2017 and is an adventure about Joseph Lanes. He’d bullied at school and things were looking rather grim, until he discovered a disk in the mud. Joseph, joined by four other teenagers, have to save the earth, as well as confronting the bullies.

Which of your books are you’re most proud of, and why?

I get asked this all the time in school visits and writers groups. I’m proud of each and every one I write. It takes a lot to write a book, and if I don’t like what I’m writing, then I’ll stop. You have to be passionate about your craft.

What is the best thing that has been said about your books?

I’ve been told by a lot of my readership that House of Darke, my eighth novel, should be made into a film. But saying that, with all the different genres I write in, I’ve been complimented on each one.

Why did you decide to come to the Llandeilo Book Fair?

I’m passionate about my writing, and love meeting new readers, as well as the seasoned collector. I love the idea of people being excited about an event, and when they arrive to see a room filled with writers - that’s got to be special.

Do you have a special connection to Wales?

Born here, and lived in the same house for nearly fifty years. I feel I’m rooted to the very core of the Rhondda Valley. There’s so much talent in Wales too. Writers, Poets, Actors, Artists… what’s not to like?

What is your personal background?

Working class, brought up by hard working parents. My love of reading and writing has taken me from the world of factories and warehousing into school visits. I run Able and Reluctant writers workshops, and I also address assemblies with presentations.

Who are your favourite authors?

So many: Neil Gaiman, Tolkien, CS Lewis, Derek Landy, Kenneth Oppel, Richard Matheson, Philip Pullman… the list goes on.




No comments:

Post a Comment