Thursday 16 March 2017

Meet the participants of the #LlandeiloBookFair / #LlandeiloLitFest: Siôn Tomos Owen

Today's interview guest is Siôn Tomos Owen, who will  be present at the #LlandeiloBookFair both days and who will also be reading from his work as part of the #LlandeiloLitFest on April 29th at 4pm at the Horeb Chapel, Cawdor Inn
Eventbrite - Siôn Tomos Owen reads from “Cawl”, his collection on Rhondda characters (Bi-lingual event)   
Welcome Siôn Please tell us about the books youll be bringing to the Book Fair.
Cawl (Parthian 2016)

Which genres do they belong to?

Welsh writing, short stories, essays, poetry, comics.

What are the characters and plots like?

The characters range from Disgruntled employees, new fathers, frustrated rugby players, the unemployed, The Welsh Mam and the disengaged electorate.

Tell us about your newest book. 


My book “Cawl” is an anthology of my creative work.  It’s a mix of short stories, bi-lingual poetry, essays and cartoons.  I tried to write it as an anthology of many voices but by one author.  The central piece is a retelling of Rhydwen Williams’ “In Praise of a Valley” and a autobiographical graphic short story about the birth of my daughter.

Which of your books are youre most proud of, and why?

Cawl, not only because it’s my debut but because it is exactly the type of book I wanted to produce. a complete pic n mix of the different type of creative endeavours.

What is the best thing that has been said about your books?

They are great toilet books because you can dip into them and enjoy a short story, poem or cartoon without having to fully commit to a proper sit down read.

Why did you decide to come to the Llandeilo Book Fair?

I was performing at Poems and Pints night at The Queens, Carmarthen and was asked whether i would like to take part in the event.  Initially I decided to hold a stall to sell my caricatures and artwork but now I’m also part of the festival which is a nice mix!

Do you have a special connection to Wales?

I am grounded in the roots of Wales like the Japanese knotweed in it’s back gardens.

What is your personal background?

I was brought up a first language Welsh in the Rhondda. I consider myself a creative polymath and strive to creating things, whether it's writing, art, cabinets or a mess. I studied Illustration at Glamorgan Centre for Art, Design and Technology before going on to study Creative Writing and Media at Trinity College, Carmarthen.
I’m a cartoonist, writer, tutor and recently the presenter of Pobol y Rhondda, a S4C Welsh language documentary series on the Rhondda Valleys,the second series of which starts on 23rd of March 2017. My Book Cawl”, a mix of short stories, bilingual poetry, essays, and comics, was published by Parthian in October 2016.  I am also working on a trilingual anthology of work, The Valley, The City, The Village, with Indian and Welsh writers via a cultural exchange funded by Wales Arts International and the British Council to be published by Parthian and Bee Books in 2018.
I live with my wife and daughter in Treorchy, Rhondda.

Who are your favourite authors?

Will Eisner, Art Spiegelman for comics.
Mikhail Bulgakov, Jeannete Winterson, Cynan Jones for novels.
Owen Sheers, Rhian Elizabeth, M.A.Oliver-Semenov, Frank O’Hara for poetry.
Tyler Keevil, Rachel Trezise, Gwyn Thomas for short stories.

Please share your social media links and buy links to your books.

www.parthianbooks.com
@sionmun on Twitter



































No comments:

Post a Comment